Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Evaluation



I have decided to evaluate my progress over the past 6weeks to see how my design has progressed over this short period of time. The photograph illustrates my three 1:1 chairs from week 6, week 10 and week 12. I have also sketched the locking systems for each chair to help demonstrate the evolution of my design.

The week 6 chair shows a relatively pleasing aesthetic from the photograph, but from the sketch it is noticeable that there is no locking system to support the seat and the only reason the chair could hold my weight is from the excessive amount of material used that was double and sometimes triple folded to create a fairly sturdy structure.

The week 10 design was cut from a 1800mm x 1200m piece of cardboard and therefore gives a more accurate idea of scale. As a result in comparison to my design in week 6 it is 100mm lower to the ground. From looking at the sketch it is apparent that a locking system has been derived, though the solitary triangle does not give the seat enough support to withhold 150kg.

The current design (week 12) aesthetically is almost identical to the week 10 design, except for the leaning backrest that sits at an approximate angle of 60degrees. The week 12 sketch shows a vast improvement in the structural support of the chair with the use of a sturdy gridlock.

Although I am very pleased with my improvement over the past few weeks I still believe that I am able to derive a more thorough locking system that supports the seat right through to the ground. I am therefore going to further refine my concept to create one more 1:1 before I begin with using the xanita board.

No comments:

Post a Comment