Saturday, November 14, 2009

First Xanita Model





It was now time for the xanita board! Having received my first piece in class I decided to get it laser cut in two pieces as the maximum surface area that could be cut in the uni workshop was 1200mm x 1500mm. I decided to cut it along the fold line of where the backrest and arms joined the base of the chair. As I didn’t look at the exact measurements on cad before cutting it, but instead going off my print out in my journal my cut was 80mm off and therefore the backrest was not at its full length- which wasn’t really design issue, it just looked incorrect aesthetically. Once it was cut I suddenly realized that I really hadn’t considered the thickness of the xanita at all and that I had some design problems that needed to be consolidated.

1. As I began to do my 45 degree cuts and folds it occurred to me that many of my lines were off and that a lot of my measurements needed to be altered by about 10-20mm.

2. A problem that soon arose was that the armrests needed to fold into the base of the chair so that it sat flush across the front. In order for this to happen the xanita needed to be cut back to its outer layer so that the arms could slot in. Though as this was a corner piece there was a high chance that the material would rip at the seams.

3. The biggest problem was that I hadn’t really considered the mechanics behind the backrest. Its only connection was at the base of the chair, which meant that when pressure was put on it there was nothing to stop it from falling back. Unsure as to how I had missed this crucial detail the first time, I started to devise locking system out of xanita scraps to work out how this problem could be solved. Having designed two 50mm wide tabs that folded inwards and joined at the centre of the chair I was now ready to make my final chair.


No comments:

Post a Comment